||Medallion Tour 2013

Medallion Tour 2013

The Royal School Armagh Medallion squad, sponsored by Dentistry @ Markethill, recently enjoyed a 4 day tour of Connacht. The squad left the school on Wednesday morning for their first fixture of the tour against Athlone Community College. The match was played in wet and windy conditions but this didn’t stop the Royal School side playing some expansive rugby and running in three unanswered tries in the first half with scores from Ben Grimes, James O’Neill and Glen Faloon, who tagged on a conversion. The second half saw Athlone playing with the wind and they scored two early tries to bring the score to 17-12 but resolute defence from James Dunne, Matthew Kilic and Matthew Reaney saw Armagh hold on for the victory.

En route to our base at Killary Adventure Centre in Lenanne, the squad stopped off at Pure Skill in Galway, which is a company who has 10 different sporting activites and this allowed the squad to test themselves against each other. In a very competitive evening Christopher Jennings topped the charts with Ryan O’Neill and Glen Faloon close runners up. The squad then enjoyed dinner before heading to Killary. The next day saw the team take part in a number of team building activities such as Laser Tag, the Zip Wire, the Giant Swing and a climbing wall. Friday saw our second match of tour against ‘The Bish’ in Galway, who had recently reached the final of the Connacht League. Armagh again started the game very well and playing up the hill and into a wind played some superb rugby to lead 15 – 0 at half times with scores from Chris Jennings and Peter Wilson, Glen Faloon kicked a conversion and a penalty. The second half saw the Bish make a few positional changes and they came back into the game but James O’Neill made a crucial interception on half way and showed great pace to score in the corner and put Armagh 20-0 ahead with 10 minutes remaining. The Bish scored two late tries to leave the final score 20-12 in the Royal School’s favour. It was great to see Old Armachian and current Connacht rugby player, Willie Faloon, down to support his cousin Glen and the squad.

The team enjoyed some downtime to shop in the evening before watching a film in a local Galway cinema. Saturday morning brought the most anticipated activity of the tour with the infamous ‘bog challenge’ awaiting the group, this composed of the squad splitting into groups who then made their way through an obstacle course set in a Connemara peat bog and finishing with a swim in the sea. This squad returned late to Armagh on Saturday night after an enjoyable and successful four day excursion.

By | 2018-01-30T09:32:10+00:00 July 29th, 2015|News|0 Comments

About the Author: