Concerns and Complaints

At the Royal School we aspire to work in close cooperation with families to develop a healthy home school partnership.  We believe that is how high quality Learning and Teaching is promoted and our pupils are supported and encouraged to succeed.

As with all human relations, there may be times when difficulties arise in the home school partnership – perhaps you or your child will feel that we have not dealt with a situation to your satisfaction.  It is important that we find that out as soon as possible so that together we can set about restoring the relationship in the interests of the learner.  We aspire that most concerns can be satisfactorily dealt with informally.

We value the ‘pupil voice’ and form tutors and heads of year are always ready to listen to pupils who wish to express themselves.

If you have a concern you are welcome to contact the Head of Year.

If after that you are still not satisfied you may bring the matter to a Vice Principal. The Vice-Principal, Curriculum deals with matters concerning Learning and Teaching, and the Vice Principal, Pastoral will deal with matters relating to pupil wellbeing and conduct.  Each Vice Principal will be more than happy to listen to your concern if the other is not available and work with you to resolve the matter.  In order to ensure that members of staff are available to speak with you about your concern, it is best to telephone them rather than call at the school without an appointment.

In the unlikely situation where a satisfactory outcome has still not been arrived at you may feel that you wish to make a formal complaint.  This should be done by writing to the Headmaster, seeking either a written reply or a formal interview to discuss the nature of the concern. In the event that a parent wishes to pursue the matter further, this is done by writing to The Secretary of the Board of Governors at the school with a copy to the Headmaster and the issue will be considered by the Management Committee of the Board of Governors. A formal reply will be given to the Secretary of the Board of Governors.

Parents who wish to pursue the matter further will be referred to the pathway as prescribed by Article 233 of the Education Reform (Northern Ireland) Order 1989.

Since 1 April 2017, the Northern Ireland Public Service Ombudsman has had the power to investigate complaints concerning publically funded schools.  Once the internal complaints process has been exhausted unsatisfied complainants may refer the matter to the Ombudsman.  There is no time limit to when you can make this complaint.

The Northern Ireland Public Service Ombudsman can be contacted at:

Progressive House
33 Wellington Place
BT61 6HN
Freepost NIPSO

Tel: 02890 233821
Freephone: 0800 343424